Brought to you by Brunette on the Internet

Brought to you by Brunette on the Internet

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Question #29

Q: Have I ever stood up for what I believe, even when it was very hard? Tell about it?

A: Growing up in Santa Barbara, where you are a minority being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I stood up for what I believed in all the time. It wasn't super hard for me, but it also wasn't easy. I said no to drugs, drinking and smoking all of the time. I think what was even harder for me to say no to though was rated R movies when I would be at a friends house. One time at a sleep over I just hung out in a different room while everyone else watched. Or one time we had a discussion in English class in high school about swearing and if you thought it was bad. It was pretty much me against the class... but I still said what I thought, because it was the right thing to do. I also had a girl follow me, yelling at me after class because I spoke up in class saying I thought abortion was wrong.

Although living in Utah now.... being surrounded by other LDS people, I don't run into these situations as often, but even in the same faith... I find that I still need to stand up for what I believe in. Especially with same sex marriage. Even within the church it is very divided even though our values and beliefs have not changed. I think that is something we will all have to continue to do our whole lives. Fight for the right. Choose the right. It is a good thing they teach us at such a young age. I felt very prepared when I started being faced with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment